Byways 101

Part 4: Planning, Action & Nomination

Learning Objective #5: More Byway Resources

Locate important resources available to the byway community to assist in byway planning, networking and problem solving.

Who Can Submit a Nomination for Designation?

Anyone may nominate a road for possible designation as a National Scenic Byway or All-American Road. The Interim Policy states that:

“Nominations may originate from any local government, including Indian tribal governments, or any private group or individual. Nominations to the program of byways on public lands may originate from the U.S. Forest Service, the National Park Service, the Bureau of Land Management, or the Bureau of Indian Affairs, but must also come through the State or Indian tribe Scenic Byways Agency, with the their concurrence.”

The Interim Policy also specifies that any highway or road submitted for designation under the National Scenic Byways Program by State, Indian tribe or Federal agencies should already be designated as a scenic byway under those respective programs.

Nomination By Indian Tribes

An Indian tribe may nominate a road as a National Scenic Byway, an All-American Road or one of America’s Byways® only if a Federal land management agency (other than the Bureau of Indian Affairs), a State, or a political subdivision of a State does not have jurisdiction over the road or responsibility for managing the road. 23 USC 162(3)(B)