Byways 101

Part 3: Public & Community Involvement

Working With Government Agencies

If your byway runs through Federal, Indian tribe, or State lands, it will be important for representatives from those agencies to be engaged in your byway planning efforts. For some byways, a single governmental agency may take leadership responsibility for the byway organization. This can often be a very simple arrangement, especially when a large portion of the corridor runs through Federal, Indian tribe, or State lands.

If it seems that most or all of the players at the table are representatives of government entities, then it may be worth forming a joint powers entity. This is a formal way for government agencies to work cooperatively through the formation of a joint, yet separate entity. This new organization—the joint powers entity—allows participating members to transfer authority to the joint powers entity for specific roles or services. Doing so can reduce duplication of services and increase continuity.

If not all of the primary players are government entities and/or you don’t need or want to transfer authority, then a cooperative agreement (also called a memorandum of understanding or interagency agreement) may be the answer. Cooperative agreements can involve public (government) and/or private entities. A cooperative agreement outlines how two or more entities will relate in a particular setting.

< Previous | Next >